There are many vegan options to have at Christmas, however the nut roast is such an easy and classic recipe to make that it could really be eaten all year round. It doesn’t take long to prepare at all, which will allow less time stressing in the kitchen and more time to put your feet up whilst sipping on a glass of mulled wine! Follow this great recipe taken from The Vegan Society, which is high in protein and low in saturated fat. This dish will keep your taste buds happy and your waistline won’t hate you for it either!
- 1 medium sized onion or 1 small leek, chopped
- 1 fl oz / 30 ml vegetable oil
- 2 tsp / 10 ml yeast extract in 1/4 pint hot water
- 8 oz / 225g chopped mixed nuts
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- 4 oz / 100g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp sage
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4
- Saute the onion or leek in the oil until soft, not browned.
- Combine all of the ingredients together; the mixture may be slightly slack. Turn into an oiled ovenproof dish and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.