VEG CITIES is a feature campaign of Sustainable Food Cities, led by Sustain in partnership with the wider Peas Please initiative. The aim of VEG CITIES is really simple – to increase the availability and consumption of vegetables. We can achieve this in loads of different ways and currently GCDA delivers wholesale fruit and veg to children’s centres, a primary school and community centre around the borough. These stalls are run by the children’s centres and offer really affordable produce. We’re currently shifting over 600kg of fruit and veg a week! However, there’s still much more to do. With only about 25% of the UK population eating the recommended 5 a day, we could all do with getting some extra veg in us! There are loads of ways to get involved and we’d love to hear from you about what you’re doing!
So, if you serve food to anyone at all, could you add a portion of veg to the meal? Or, do you spend time with people who you could talk to about increasing fruit and veg? Could you promote more veg in your setting, or maybe even grow your own? GCDA and Good Food in Greenwich can support you with all these things so please get in touch! These small changes can add up to make a real difference to peoples’ health. Please email email@example.com to get involved and tell us what you’re doing!
If you’d like to find out about running your own fruit and veg stall, please contact Livia@gcda.org.uk and if you’d like to visit the stalls, they run in the following places on a Tuesday – and they also take Healthy Start vouchers!
· Mulgrave Children’s Centre, Rectory Place, Woolwich, SE18 5DA
· Foxfield Primary School, 2 Sandbach Pl, Woolwich, London SE18 7EX
· Pound Park Children’s Centre, Pound Park Rd, London SE7 8AF
· Eglinton Children’s Centre, Paget Rise, Woolwich, London SE18 3PY
· Greenacres Children’s Centre, Witherston Way, London SE9 3JN
· Waterways Children’s Centre, Southwood Rd, Thamesmead, London SE28 8EZ
· Woolwich Common Community Centre, Leslie Smith Square, Woolwich, London SE18 4DW
Or download the list here